Stay safe online ..learn more about what we’re doing to make your online experience worthwhile & secure as possible.
Why does Hitecpro filter content?
Our focus is on giving venue partners the tools and information they need to do what’s right for their own customers. The vast majority of our commercial customers cater to families, and as such, fully welcome the roll-out of filters.
That’s why we introduced the family-friendly filters automatically across our estate.
Responsibility ultimately rests with individual partners, who decide what’s in the best interests of their own customers.
Can I check why something is blocked?
Yes, you can check why something is blocked here: CFS URL Rating Review Service I believe that a site has been categorised incorrectly can I get it unblocked? Hitecpro does not in any way pass judgement on individual sites. The content filtering system is provided by an independent third-party called Sonic Wall, which classifies websites into pre-defined categories based on its own guidelines and is done via an automated system. A request can be put forward to Sonic Wall to change a site categorisation.
Sites relating to the following are blocked by default; violence, hate and racism, pornography, illegal drugs, hacking and proxy avoidance, criminal and illegal skills and nudity.More information about how Sonic Wall manages the categorisation can be found here: Content Filtering Categories
What happens if a WiFi user tries to access blocked content?
Customers will be presented with a simple landing page, informing them that the site they are trying to access has been blocked by the network administrator. Please note that Hitecpro has no control over customers accessing content in venue/venues via 3G or other available networks.
Public WiFi risks
Hitecpro operates public WiFi hotspots that by definition offer open network access for all. This makes it possible for Hitecpro to provide a simple and easy method of connectivity for as many devices as possible.However, this exposes the potential risk that a third party could intercept these signals if a device or application you are using does not encrypt the data it is sending over the network.
Hitecpro encrypts your data when you register or log on to Hitecpro network only. For an additional levelof security we recommend using a VPN client or software that encrypts all traffic passing from the device ontothe Internet. We recommend you use F-Secure Freedome, a secure VPN encryption app for personal usewhich gives you extra security when using WiFi hotspots or any internet connection. F-Secure Freedome can be downloaded for iPhone, iPad, Android mobiles and tablets.
Another risk associated with WiFi is the accidental connection to ‘bogus’ networks. In this rare case a third party attempts to mimic a ‘real’ hotspot and have you connect to it in order to collect data from your device. If you want to ensure that you are connected to a Hitecpro hotspot look for our ‘WiFi Zone – Hitecpro or ‘_hitecproWiFi’ SSID, and access the page https://. Check that the venue landing page appears and that the security certificate of the page is correct. If you have a registered device on Hitecpro network it should also tell you that you are logged on.
Top Tips for Keeping Safe Online
Other risks of using Public WiFi are no different from using the Internet in general. The most important thing is to ensure that the apps, sites and services you use while browsing are from safe sources and to use and update basic protections such as your firewall and anti-virus software.
Follow these simple steps to protect your devices and your personal data;
- Always make sure you have anti-virus or Internet Security software on all your PCs,Macs, smartphones and tablets
- Always keep your system, browsers, applications and security software patched and updated
- Set-up accounts for each member of the family and activate the appropriate Parental controls
- Only download apps from official app stores like Google Play and the Apple App Store
- Put a sticker over your webcam when you are not using it. It can be used to spy on you Passwords
- Always use a different password for each website you login to. Remember these using F-Secure KEY available FREE from the app stores
- Make sure you log out of the account when your session ends – and make sure any ‘Keep me logged in’ check-boxes are not ticked
- Ensure your computer is password-protected
- Lock your mobile phone, tablet and PC when they’re not in use Emails
- Don’t open an email from someone you don’t know.
- Be careful when responding to emails – don’t divulge any personal or financial details, and remember that your bank will never ask you to send them your password or PIN
- If you receive an email from a company asking for personal details about your account then contact the company directly, preferably by phone
- Avoid ‘phishing’ sites that resemble a legitimate business but are in fact fakes designed to steal your personal details – by being cautious and protecting your personal details Banking or Shopping
- Activate Banking Protection within you Internet Security software to stop you being redirected to fake sites designed to steal your identity
- Look for web addresses starting ‘https’ – the ‘s’ means the page is encrypted and your details are secure
- Shop sensibly – exercise caution and check reviews of sites you’re unfamiliar with
- Be careful not to leave credit card details exposed on-screen Facebook and other networking sites
- Always keep your profile Private
- Remember friends can share whatever you post with the world – so think before you post
- Only connect with friends you know personally
- Don’t talk to strangers online – you don’t know anything about them and they may put you in danger
- When chatting online try not to give out any personal information about yourself – especially pictures of
yourself, mobile numbers and where you live
Use WiFi responsibly
Please use Hitecpro network responsibly. That means avoiding illegal or illicit content, and from doing anything inappropriate that could threaten the network’s integrity. And we’re really not keen on spamming, privacy
infringements and the like.
We’re a member of the Internet Watch Foundation – that means we’re committed to combating online sexual child abuse. We will block users who access this material.
Find out more – read our Acceptable Use Policy here